I’m a mom of three boys and three girls. It’s easy to show my girls that I love them. I sit and ask them questions. I listen to them talk, and talk, and talk. I buy them pink nail polish with sparkles. I “get” girls.
It was harder to figure out my boys. When I asked them questions about their day, I could feel their frustration. Once, when I was asking my young adult son about his first day of college, my husband turned to me and said, “Why are you grilling him?”
What? I was just trying to show I was interested. My daughter would have loved to share every detail!
If you’re a mom of older sons it can sometimes be hard to show your love. Here are 15 ideas to do just that!
15 Ways to Show Your Teen Son Your Love
- Go on a long drive and just sit side-by-side. Don’t ask any questions; just enjoy the view and wait for him to talk. (It will feel awkward, but I guarantee your son will love the side-by-side time.)
- Ask your son about his most recent video game . . . and then just listen.
- Make your son’s favorite dinner and let him know you were thinking of him.
- Tell your son how proud you are of a good character trait you see in him.
- Visit him at his work. Don’t make it a big deal, but just smile and wave.
- Invite him to lunch, your treat, at his favorite restaurant.
- When you’re at the grocery store, text your son and ask if there’s anything he needs.
- Offer to play his favorite board game with him . . . even if you know there’s no chance of you winning, even if you try.
- Do his laundry without making a big deal about it.
- Stop what you’re doing and really listen the next time he wants to tell you something.
- Let your son overhear you talking to someone else and praising one of his accomplishments.
- Make snacks for your son and his friends when they’re hanging out at your house.
- Buy a book he’s interested in and leave it on his bed with a note.
- Show up next time he invites you to do something with him.
- Take his problems seriously even when they don’t seem like a big deal to you.
These seem like simple things but you know you’re making a difference when you see your son’s SMILE!
Now, how about you? What are ways you show your teen son that you love him?
Did you hear the good news? A Christmas Gift for Rose is only $2.99 (digital), now through January 6! Get the ebook HERE!