3 Ways to Make Today Amazing!
Want to have an amazing day? Who would say “no” to that?
I’ve been a mom since 1989, and I’ve had more hard days than amazing ones. The hard days come when I look at the long to-do lists, when I focus on my weaknesses instead of my strengths, and when I get overwhelmed with all the needs of my kids! Can you relate?
But lately I’ve had many amazing days. Why? It all started with me the word of the year that I felt God placing on my heart: Rejoice! To me it’s “putting joy” into the day and being thankful for all God’s done.
Here are three ways to do this.
- Be Thankful. Take three minutes and write down (or even whisper) how many things you’re thankful for.
- Play! Take time to play board games, sing Disney songs, and put together puzzles with your kids. Ignore the messes all around you and enjoy the laughter.
- Give. Throughout the last few months I’ve gone through my kids’ clothes and toys, my clothes, my books, and other things, and I’ve found new homes for them. It feels great!
When I change my attitude, it’s amazing how everything else changes. Thankfulness, playfulness, and generosity go a long way, and all of these are great examples for our kids!
In fact, our example is the best example. I love this quote by A.A. Milne in Winnie the Pooh: “Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” I think you’ll find the same to be true of your children. Even though their hearts are small in size they can overflow with gratitude when they see you (us!) showing them how it’s done.
Steps You can Take
- Take three minutes to be thankful.
- Clean out a drawer or closet with the intention of giving to others.
Help me to remember that my example as a parent is what matters most to my kids. Help me to see each day as an opportunity for thankfulness, drawing close to my family, and connecting with my community. May you speak through my example.
In Jesus name, amen.