Joanna Weaver is the author of Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, which has sold over a million copies. Other books include Having a Mary Spirit, Lazarus Awakening, and a devotional, At the Feet of Jesus. Her books and companion DVD Bible studies have been used by hundreds of churches as well as home groups and individuals. Joanna’s greatest joy is found in being a wife and mother of three, as well as serving the Lord beside her husband John in full-time ministry. The Weavers reside in the beautiful “Big Sky” state of Montana.
Important Takeaways from Show
- When dealing with a strong-willed child our bodies will naturally begin to react, but we can choose what to do with that.
- We win when we stay calm.
- Our calm presence can calm our child.
- When emotions are peaked, we cannot think rationally.
- You don’t have to solve the problem immediately. Sometimes everyone needs space to process things.
- Our identity is not found in how well-behaved our kids are.
- Let your kids know you are aware of their emotions. Labeling your child’s emotions helps open the door to talking about them.
- Talk with them about how to handle their emotions at a time when they are not upset.
- Giving other parents grace helps us to give grace to ourselves.
- Don’t worry about the problem, rather focus on investing time with your child.
- Our kids will be more likely to receive advice when we’ve bonded with them.
- Take your emotions to God and trust the Holy Spirit to work and bring His fruit (love, joy, peace) in your life.
- Respect your kids with your words. Teach them your family values through word and action.