This Friday, I’ll be celebrating a double anniversary. First, John and I will be married sixteen years. Second, it will be twelve years since I attended my first Mt. Hermon Writer’s Conference. I’m thrilled that this weekend I’ll be enjoying the conference near Santa Cruz, California.
Looking back, I truly didn’t understand what I was getting into when I vowed to “love, honor, and cherish” my husband all the days of my life. It has been more difficult, and more wonderful, that I could have imagined. I can say the same about following the call to become a writer.
How about you? Do you feel God calling you? Psalm 96:3 says, “Publish His glorious deeds among the naitons. Tell everyone about the amazing things He does.”
If reading that verse stirrs something inside you, then you have to get started. Don’t put it off. Today can be the first day of your writing journey. If it is . . . here are some practical steps to get you going:
1. Buy Sally Stuart’s Christian Writers’ Market Guide. It has over 600 pages of info. on almost every Christian magazine and book publisher.
2. Consider starting by writing articles. Look in the Market Guide and send away for writers’ guidelines and sample copies for those magazines you’re interested in. (Keep them organized in a file drawer or box.) Study the guidelines and the sample copies so that you clearly know what they want.
3. Seek out a Christian writers’ critique group. They’re listed in the Market Guide. Write articles and take them with you for critique. You can learn a lot from others.
4. Attend a Christian writers’ conference. My personal favorite is the Mt. Hermon, but there are tons of other great ones. Writer’s conferences are the BEST way to make personal contact with editors and establish yourself as a professional writer.
5. Get a copy of Writer’s Digest; the library may even have it. Check out writing books at the library or those offered through the magazine. Also, subscribe to the Writer’s Digest Book Club . . . and read them!!!
Those are just a few things to get you started. I trust that as you take this step of faith God will do exceedingly more than you ever hoped or imagined!